2.18.2008

little black sambo

This was one of my favorite books growing up. I bought a beautifully redrawn (original text) copy for the boys a couple years back, and now it is one of Ty's favorites. (The illustrations are amazing!) If any of you are not familiar with this controversial story, it is about a boy, Sambo, who's parents buy him all these fancy clothes and while walking through the jungle, meets up with 4 different ferocious tigers who want to eat him up. Sambo bargains with each of them by surrendering a piece of his clothing - if they promise not to eat him up. This satisfies the tigers and Sambo survives becoming the tigers' dinner. Anyways, during the story Ty asks me, "Why did he give them all his clothes?" I explained, "Because they were going to eat him up. Would you rather get eaten up by tigers or give them your clothes instead so that they won't eat you up?" Ty explains, "I wouldn't give them my clothes. I would run away really fast, faster than the tigers, and they couldn't catch me." Sooooo clever! What was Sambo thinking? Duh.

3 comments:

My Many Coloured Days said...

I've never heard of this book. I'm interested to see your copy.

ads said...

Your new "Little Black Sambo" book is so much cuter than the $1.50 one you grew up with. It was one of my favorite books growing up as well. My Nana used to read it to me. The tradition continues.

Ola said...

How fun... When Ollie gets bigger I get the book! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...