2.15.2008

legs

Today I am grateful for my legs. I get so anxious for my long runs and last night I had the most dreadful feeling about waking up early, running in the cold, and running 9 miles. Everything inside me wanted to sleep in and forget about it. I grumbled the instant I woke up until, as I was driving to my destined route, I passed a guy at a bus stop. He was in a wheelchair. I'm not usually an emotional person about things, but when I saw him I realized how blessed I am to be able to have use of my legs and that I can use them to do something I love...run! A wave of gratitude and a realization of my grumpy attitude came to me. Here I was hating that I was going to run when there are some who can't even use their legs! My whole run I praised The Man for giving me legs that work - that allow me to accomplish distance, and that allow me to do something that makes me happy and feel good. My run was great - despite the whole first half being uphill. I got my second wind around mile 8 and finished strong, running an extra half mile because we had gone too far!

3 comments:

My Many Coloured Days said...

special.

ads said...

It's often good that we have the opportunity to "count our blessings." I, of course, am just grateful that I can walk and hike enjoy the beauties of fresh air and gorgeous scenery. You are awesome.

Jill Bowcutt said...

A good long run is kind of like prayer. When you don't feel like doing it is when you need to the most, and when you'll learn the most from it. Seriously, don't you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...