5.26.2008

our memorial weekend

I have never been to a drive-in theater like the one we went to over Memorial Weekend. It's a little bit hillbilly, but the fun factor is greatly increased because of it's hillbilliness. It's called Starlite Drive-in Theater. The gates opened at 7:00pm, and so we tried our hardest to get there right at 7 because the new Indiana Jones movie was showing, and we knew it would be packed. We rolled in right at 7:16 and about 1/2 of the spots were already taken. People were barbecuing, kids were playing football, frisbee, tag, soccer, volleyball, people had tables set up with schmorgusboards of food, kids were running around barefoot, and there was lots of smoking going on. It was a regular old crazy house. I made becks sit down with me on our chairs because I was afraid he was going to get trampled or his head was going to be decapitated by a flying Frisbee. We bought Ty a Nerf gun to play with while we waited the two hours for the show to start, and he went nuts with it. My favorite part about this drive-in theater is that it is covered in grass and surrounded by trees, which makes it not only beautiful but comfy. I consider it to be one of Bloomington's gems.

Oooh, the concentration! Like father, like son.


On Memorial Day we went on a beautiful hike to Leonard Springs that is only about 5 minutes away from us. Not strenuous in any way like the hiking is in Utah, and I swear we were in a tropical rain forest with the 85% humidity; the frogs and birds were chirping so loud. It was raining when we went, but because the trees provided an amazing canopy overhead, we stayed dry. Matthias made it even more exciting by finding a frog for the boys to hold.





And lastly, being Memorial Day, I want to dedicate a spot on the blogosphere to my Great Grandpa Lew. (My mom's grandpa.) In some ways, Beckham reminds me of him. Full of energy with a little bite. When I am in Utah, my mom and I usually go and visit his grave which is up in the Brigham City Cemetery. Traditionally, before going to the grave, we go to the old time Peach City Drive-in (where Grandpa Lew used to take her when she was little) to get a gargantuan sized shake. My favorite memories of him include him teaching me how to do a back hand-spring, the jingle of change in his pocket, and playing duck-duck goose with him in his horse pasture in the snow. His history is rich... I really could write and write about him. A short version of two of my favorite stories of him are: him shooting and skinning his sister's cat, then tacking it up on the barn door, just to spite her. And how his Aunt who raised him, for punishment, would make him memorize a poem fitting the crime. Once he had the poem memorized and recited, his Aunt would reward him with $5 dollars! I remember sitting in his living room - he showed me his little red leather pocketbook of poems - and him reciting to me It's All in a State of Mind.



If you think you are beaten, your are
If you think you dare not, you won't,
If you like to win, but don't think you can
It's almost a cinch you won't

If you think you'll lose, you're lost
For out in the world you find,
Success begins with a fellow's will
It's all in a state of mind

For many a game is lost
Ere even a play is run,
And many a coward fails
Ere even his work is begun

Think big and your deeds will grow
Think small and you'll fall behind
Think that you can and you will
It's all a state of mind

If you think you are out-classed, your are
You've got to think high to rise
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize

Life battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man
But sooner or later, the man who wins
Is the fellow who thinks he can

2 comments:

janet said...

We LOVE drive in theaters.. it's definitely more fun with hillbillies! Did you kids like Indiana Jones?

love the tribute to your grandpa. That picture is so classy of them.

Sus said...

Okay, why have I never been to Starlite? MUST GO. (And Indiana Jones! Perfect!)

Also - am totally stealing your grandfather's aunt's punishment. I love it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...